Friday, September 4, 2009

Lavera Calendula Balancing Cream


Review of Lavera Calendula Balancing Cream

By Kelly B.

Packaging
The packaging of the Lavera Balancing Cream is very simple being a white plastic tube. The simplicity of design is given an up-market feel with the silver shiny lettering. The orange stripe across the front with the marigold flower makes it easily identifiable if you want to find it fast in your make up bag.

I love the fact that it is a tube rather than a jar for hygiene reasons.

Ergonomics
The tube is very ergonomic and easy to hold. The plastic is a matt finish which means that it is easy to grip and open even with wet or slippery hands.

Paraben free
It is excellent that the cream is chemical and paraben free. Skin that needs balancing in particular does not want to be coping with extra toxins and potential irritants from cream. It is a real plus that it is organic too so no toxic pesticides to be absorbed into your skin!

Scent
The scent of this Lavera face cream is quite strong resembling tropical fruit such as mango with a citrus zing to it. However my boyfriend said it made me smell like bubble gum! I liked the smell for the first few days but soon after I began to find it too sickly and overpowering. I felt it overshadowed my perfume which I didn't want. But if you love the smell this could be a good thing.

Texture
The texture of Lavera Balancing Cream is quite greasy although it does absorb quickly into the skin. However I found that it did tend to leave a bit of a greasy film. The skin is left with a satin look rather than greasy (despite the film) and it does feel nice and supple.

Colour
The cream is white in colour which is a huge advantage as it will be unlikely to stain the neckline of any clothing.

Performance under makeup
I felt this cream made me feel clean and fresh and I had high hopes its use as a makeup base. However as I attempted to blend my foundation the Balancing Cream began to peel off in small pieces. It made a real mess of my foundation so I had to take it off and start again with a different cream. I do not feel it is at all suitable for use under make up.

Performance
I feel that the Balancing cream absorbs well and does leave the skin feeling fresh. I love that it contains calendula which is an anti-inflammatory as it did seem to take the redness out of a small rash on the side of my face. However since it leaves a greasy film and it peels off if you rub it more than a few times I feel there are better paraben free creams available for combination skin (such as Logona Combination face cream which is a wonderful texture no matter how many times it is rubbed.)

In my opinion Lavera Balancing Cream is most suitable for Teenagers who don't wear make up. If you were to rub the cream very gently in your palms and pat it onto your face I feel you could avoid the peeling problem.

Advantages:
Fast absorbency
Anti-inflammatory action
Organic
Paraben free

Disadvantages:
Peeling off when rubbed
Overpowering sweet smell

Most suitable for: Teenage skin

Marks out of 10: 5

Would I use it again?: No

Would I recommend it?: No


The Lavera Calendula Balancing Cream (£8.71 30ml) and other Lavera products are available from Naturisimo.com


No comments: